Friday, April 17, 2009

Last Three Weeks In The States







Well, the day I have been anticipating and planning for has finally come. I’m headed back home to Liberia. My last few weeks in the US were busy and enjoyable as I traveled across the country to say farewell and tell people about my mission.
My first stop on my trip took me to Appleton, Wisconsin where I met with friends, who taught me about Football and initiated me into the Green Bay Hall of Fame Fan Club. It became so ironic that over the years, when I tell people that I am a Green Bay fan, they looked at me, like I am from a different planet. How can a black African like you say that you are a Green Bay fan? How do you know about Green Bay? Do you even know where Green Bay is located? Have you ever lived there during the winter season? My answer is usually, a resounding YES!! I have been to several Green Bay games when the team used to play in Milwaukee before moving to Green Bay. In fact, for the past ten years, I have spent every summer vacation in Ephraim, Door County, Wisconsin, where I also visited for a couple of days before flying to Florida.
In Tampa, FL, my next stop, my schoolmate and friend, Byron, picked me up from the airport and we drove to Tallahassee. On March 5, 2009, I spoke to students at Florida State University at the Oglesby Student Union (poster is attached on the blog). While in Tallahassee, I spent my time with various Liberians including Zinnah and Eric who were very helpful and encouraging. Saturday I travelled to Punta Gorda, Florida and on Sunday, March 8, I spoke at St .Mary Primitive Baptist Church. Two days later the pastor informed me that one of his members called him to inform him that her daughter was inspired by my testimony and has committed herself to doing the right thing at all times. It brought tears to my eyes, knowing that my life story is an encouragement to someone.
On Wednesday, March 11, 2009, I was the guest speaker at the Port Charlotte Rotary Club, in Port Charlotte, Florida. And finally on Thursday, March 12, 2009, I was the guest speaker at the Punta Gorda United Methodist Church’s Women Circle meeting. The Circle members were very great. They showered me with lots of love, not just in words, but in deeds. They also prayed for me and asked God’s blessings upon my life during this endeavor. That same evening, I give a presentation to the students, faculty, and staff at my old college, Edison State College. It was full of surprises as I ran into my former professors, schoolmates, and classmates, including the retired Provost, Dr. Yorgar.
The following day, Friday, March 13, I flew back to DC. Then, on Sunday, March 15, 2009, I had a going away celebration to say ‘thank you’ to friends who had made my stay in the United States truly enriching. Indeed, a life full of remarkable experiences and memories which I would never forget. From the depth of my heart, I sincerely want to say ‘thank you’ to all those who made the celebration a success. Special thanks to my friends who prepared the food, provided the drinks, and music.
Overall, I truly appreciate the kind words of encouragement and gifts from friends and supporters I received along the way. They have only encouraged me to continue on this journey. If I may interject, some were skeptical and advised that I stay until I have the needed funds to undertake this endeavor.
As I get things set up, I will likely have inconsistent access to voicemail and email so don’t be discouraged if my next post takes a while. I’ve attached links to a newspaper article about one of my speaking engagements in Florida, a YouTube link to a short clip of my going away party, and several photos taken during my last few weeks in DC.
ALways Peace!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment